Thursday 1 April 2010

waiting, tidying, gathering







I spent most of today waiting for the man from Fedex to pick up my big box of artwork, to be delivered to Japan for the exhibition. I hate being stuck in the flat for these kinds of things...I've had bad experiences in the past, waiting all day for the man who never showed up, so was really anxious.
I needed to keep myself busy while I waited, so decided to tackle the big mess in my studio. As I went through the big pile of paper bits on my desk (a very boring task, where I go through all of it, deciding what to keep and what to throw away, when really I should just chuck the whole pile in the bin!), I thought about the words of Tove Jansson from her brilliant story "The Magic Forest":

"Gathering is peculiar, because you see nothing but what you're looking for."

I started gathering bits from my big pile, and stuck down the pieces. This is what I ended up with. I don't know what it is, but it helped pass the time :)
I think I prefer it cropped.


1 comment:

  1. yes, it's a daunting task. I know it well too. I love how you show your process. You are an extremely generous to share this with the world. I'm grateful for it though. Simply wonderful work, as always mique. :)

    ReplyDelete